Monday, November 16, 2020

Roof News

Before we go any further, please refer to my posts on October 23rd and 25th. That's when we had the first big snowfall of the season. Tree branches all over town snapped and fell, weighted down with snow and wet leaves. We had our maple tree to the west of the house drop a couple of big branches. They fell on the house and remained suspended up there...waiting for the next big wind to free them and swing into the house.

I contacted Randy, our insurance guy and he referred me to a tree trimmer they recommend for these kinds of things. Randy reminded me that we have a $1,000.00 deductible. I thought it was higher. Like $5,000.

The bid to remove the branches and clean up the tree came in at $1,700.00. Well, we'll get a little money back and the tree will be cleaned up and no longer threaten the chimney, which it had grown very close to.

The tree trimmers did the work and I submitted the invoice to the insurance company. 

A few days later, I got a call from the local insurance adjuster who wanted to come and inspect the property. I told her I didn't think there was any damage, based on what the tree trimmer told me. Nonetheless, she was coming out to inspect. I asked if I needed to be there and she said no, as long as she didn't need to get in the house. I explained that we have no leaks we are aware of so entry in the house was not an issue.

I got a call today from Jody at Nationwide Insurance. She is the person whom Randy passed me on to and was handling the claim.

She told me that the adjuster said we needed a new roof and after spewing out a bunch of figures, told me they were sending a check for $13,000.00.

We are amazed! We did not expect to have to replace the roof, let alone have our insurance cover it.

We have a year to have the work done and if the bid comes in higher, I need to call and tell them.

Since we are heading into winter, we are not going to move forward with any decision until Spring. 

So, that's the update on the roof. We are standing by now to see if they really do send us a check.

No comments: