Friday, November 26, 2021

After Thanksgiving

We have made it past Thanksgiving and boy, do we have a lot to be thankful for.

First of all, I only gained a pound. On top of the other 15 pounds I've gained since summer, it's not so great. So I guess I'm not thankful for that. 

Back on November 9th, we had a chimney sweep come to clean out our fireplace flue. I chronicled the event in my other blog (Adventures in Phatness) and you can read about it there. www.porkymccorpulent.blogspot.com

The upshot of the visit was that our Fireplace flue is gorgeous and nice and clean now. However, our furnace flue had a blockage in it and we shouldn't be using the furnace. You know, our main source of heat. He had another appointment to get to and was unable to clear the blockage.

His suggestion was to buy a new boiler and remove the archaic wrapped in asbestos dinosaur that vents to the bad chimney flue. I checked into a new boiler and we are looking at about 20 grand.

It's a great time to be a chimney sweep. I called five other sweeps and they are all booked out through December.

I managed to find one who had an opening for us last Tuesday, Nov. 23rd. The guy finally showed up around 4pm and was able to clear the flue. He cleaned out a bunch of leaves and a couple of bricks. That means the flue is not in great condition.

But we have our furnace back. Not that we stopped using it after the first chimney guy told us not to. I bought a couple of Carbon Monoxide detectors as a safeguard. We are still alive.

We are now enjoying a peaceful Friday at home after the big turkey feast last night. We slept in, went on a walk, and are now preparing to go to the Hub for the annual  Apple Cup Football competition (WSU Cougars vs U of W Huskies) followed by a visit to another bar called Pints to watch a little college basketball - Number One Gonzaga play Number Five Duke.

Epilogue: The Cougars whipped the Huskies handily and the Zags lost by three.

No comments: