Sunday, July 20, 2008

Another Busy Weekend

I made my appointment to the Steinway Store and played the Pianos. I went with a guy named Kenny who comes into the bar and is a pretty good piano player. He's played in bands all his life and has a very nice touch. Certainly better than I! Pictured above is the 100 year Gershwin Commemoritive Piano. Steinway made about 150 of them and this one is one of two remaining for sale. It could be yours for only $189,000.00.
While bar tending yesterday, we got talking about marinating steaks and one guy sitting at the bar said that Everclear is great for that. So I came home with a steak, took a half cup of Everclear, 3 tablespoons of Worcestershire, and a tablespoon of minced garlic and mixed it all together really well. Then I poured over my steak and let it sit for awhile. I don't know how good a job it did because I over cooked my steak. I'm like them really rare and it got into the medium range. Nonetheless, the picture above shows how well the marinade burns.

Shortly after moving into the house, Susan and I wanted to start working on our idea of a balcony on the second floor landing. Our original idea called for moving the outside wall back about three feet and putting in a set of Frend doors. The Historic Commission would not approve that design. Unfortunately, we had already purchased the door when we found a good deal on one. It's been sitting in the garage for about three and a half years. I found some references to the project back in September of 2006.
We finally decided it was time to replace the ratty old French doors we have in the kitchen with the new set. Phil got the door installed yesterday and is finishing up on it today and probably tomorrow. Already it is a remarkable change. Most notably, I still want to force the door open like I had to on the old one and slam it shut hard, like the old one. It will take us a while to overcome that habit.


No comments: