Thursday, July 10, 2008

State of Emergency

The weather has been beautiful the last week or so. Every day is bright and clear and hot and sunny. It's like it was Summer or something. Today the wind started blowing around three or four o'clock and continued for several hours.
I have been doing stuff around the house. I mowed the lawn. I cut some more tree limbs. I watered the lawn. I just came in a little bit ago and turned on the TV to discover a major fire is occurring in the Spokane Valley. The Authorities are asking people to evacuate a large section of the area around the Dishman Hills. I also learned there was a pretty substantial fire at a local building supply business not far from home.

Here are some pictures I took from the Telly.



This is a a map of the Evacuation Area. I know someone who lives right on the edge of that area. I work with her. I guess I'll find out tomorrow what her evening was like.







The area is not really rural but there are a lot of trees mixed in with some houses. This one looks like a pretty good camp fire is going in the woods.
On the news, they said that this last picture is a house on fire and probably burning to the ground. It's hard to imagine in this day and age that a fire could get so out of control that fire fighters are unable to stop it from totally destroying a house. But then again, something big like this happens and the fire fighters are scattered everywhere and stuff is gonna burn.
I feel bad for those people. That has got to be
devastating.

No comments: