Tuesday, January 06, 2009

"I Want You to Build an Ark"

The warming trend that has been threatened to come upon us has come upon us. It snowed a couple of inches last night so I broke out the heavy equipment this morning and did my rounds. I figured that if it did indeed turn to rain, I didn’t want a bunch a sloppy un-blowable mush all over the neighborhood.

I heard on the radio this morning that the official snow fall for the season is se7enty-se7en (77) inches. The official “Corbin Park Snow on the Ground” reading is 26 inches as of this morning at the 631 Weather Depth Gauge.

The most snow Spokane has ever received in a season is 93.5 inches back in the winter of 1949-50. They say that January and February are traditionally our snowiest months. It looks like there is a very good chance of the possibility that maybe the conditions could be favorable to allow for the eventuality that we just might surpass that figure, perhaps.

In the meantime, I have been keeping busy with the roof. It is no longer leaking in through the french doors in the kitchen. However, it is leaking all over the outside of the french doors. I have to regularly open the door to break through any icicles that may be forming to block its door opening path.

I spent about two hours last night up on the roof, shoveling snow and breaking up ice. I have my son Scott coming over tonight to help me remove more snow and ice. If it rains as they predict, it is going to be a mess up there. It’s going to add to the weight of the snow we have to remove which adds to the amount I sweat while working. But if it’s raining, that works out great for me because I rarely shower anyway.

Later that same evening: Scott has come and gone and we succeeded in removing a tremendous amount of snow and ice from the roof...along with a couple of small shingle bits. It's really sloppy outside right now and the temperature is 43 degrees at 10PM. It is also windy out. I went out on the front porch earlier and all I could hear was wind and dripping water.

The next few days should be very interesting. Already I can see snow has melted considerably from portions of the roof. You can barely go down the back steps without avoiding a shower.

At least, so far, we are dry in the house and the areas of previous leakage are not a concern. But we are watching. Watching and listening. Soon...bailing!

No comments: