Thursday, October 01, 2009

Problems with Gas

I have the day off from work and I am attempting to end my Summer-long National Nightmare with my Gas Line.

I contacted the City Inspector who told me I had to do a pressure test. I have no idea exactly how to perform this task but what I do have is an extensive network of "Go To Guys" that help through the technical difficulties of old home remodeling. One cannot be successful in old home remodeling unless you are handy (I am not) or you have an extensive network of "G.T.G."!

For general carpentry I have Phil. For tile and grout I have Ron. To haul my ass out of giant emergency dumb shit situations, I have Jerry.

I told Jerry I needed to do a pressure test on my gas line. Within a couple of days, he calls and tells me he has attached a valve with gauge to said gas line. I proceed to pressurize gas line and cannot get it to hold any pressure.

Then I notice a vent on the meter that is allowing all the pressure to escape. I plug it and continue with my pressure test. I find that I am losing pressure. So much so that I can hear it seeping out of the pipe. I spray soapy water around the area of the leak and see that it is leaking from the meter.

The next day, I call Washington Water Power and tell them that their meter is losing air from the end cap around the regulator. (I find that if I use specific technical jargon, they take me more seriously.)

I get a message on my cell phone later in the day from the service guy at my house who tells me that I applied pressure into the meter and destroyed it. He was changing out the meter and scolded me for my screw up. Pictured below is my beautiful new meter. I don't know how much this is going to cost me.

I called Jerry who came out to survey the new meter and the associated new pipe we (Jerry) had to install.

He called me yesterday and said it was ready for the new pressure test. I got home last night and powered up the compressor and pressurized the line to about 15 pounds. It seemed to hold for a while but when I checked it this morning, it was down to about three pounds.

So now we (Jerry) have been searching for a leak. We (Jerry) found several small ones in the pipe that I (Me) had nothing to do with. By that I mean the already existing pipe in the house leading from my point of repair to the furnace valve.
We (Jerry) are now in the process of removing all that pipe and resealing the joints. Right now, as I type, we (Jerry) is fetching a new valve because it was leaking as well as the joints. We (Jerry) will then reinstall all the pipe and joints and pressurize the line again.

Later that Day: Okay, we (Jerry) are finished. I have applied 10 pounds of air pressure and it is holding steady. I have a call into the inspector and I am hoping to hear from him today.

In the meantime, I have harvested my Hops. I have quite a booty haul. Now I have some errands to run around and accomplish and among those, eating some lunch and drinking some beer.

No comments: