Sunday, May 23, 2010

Chainlink Firestump

I have reported in the past on a tree at the back of our property that was allowed to grow next to and into a chainlink fence. The stump had actually grown around the fencing and after I cut the tree away, the stump remained embedded in the lingering trunk of the tree.

In an attempt to remove it, I have drilled through it, sawed through it, and chiseled it to pieces. And yet, it still clings to the chainlink.

So it finally occurred to me (when my inner pyromaniac was allowed to speak) to set it ablaze.
I would like to state at this point that I had my hose at the ready as well as a shovel. This fire is in close proximity to my neighbors garage...but not so close that having a fire there would place the garage in imminent danger. (He regretfully said to the jury)
I got out my lighter fluid and gave it a good soaking and threw a match at it. The problem with this approach was I had to keep adding lighter fluid. Then I had the idea (again from my inner pyro) to build a small fire below the stump and let it burn the stump away.

I got the most flammable material known to man, pieces of lath from inside my former walls. This stuff will light if you hold it and just think about fire. I broke several slats into smaller pieces and added a little lighter fluid to coax it.
The pieces of lath didn't really require the coaxing but it didn't hurt either. I soon had a lovely little fire going right next to my neighbors garage. Shhhhhhhhh! Don't tell them!
After about half an hour, I was able to bust away agood portion of the stump. Unfortunately, I cut a couple parts of the chainlink when I hit it with the shovel. It was hot and soft and probably cut pretty easily.

After the fire was out, I was able to twist the last remaining piece off the stand of wire that it had grown around.

By the way, my mowing was successful and I harvest about 15 bushels of grass.

No comments: