Sunday, May 30, 2010

Memorial Weekend Project Day Two

It is now clear to us that our ambitious plans to complete the stairs over this three day weekend are not going to happen. We have not even completed the staining after two days and we are a long way off. We should have had a lot more prep work done in order to complete this in three days.

However, just because we aren't going to finish according to our plan doesn't mean we will not forge ahead. Frankly, I can't think of any project we have done that we finished as planned.

I'm not going to inundate this entry with pictures like I did yesterday. I'm just going to show off a couple of the quasi-impressive bits of progress we made.

Susan held the paint/staining brush all day. She completed this little shelf that is on the middle landing of the stairs.She also got a good start on the railing and the newel posts on the upstairs end of the stairs. I guess one might call that the landing if one where so inclined. Below shows the right side newel post with a fresh coat of stain while the left side newel post needed some attention from me in the trim replacement department.While Susan held the stain brush, I held the chop saw and brad nailer to inlay the trim around the Main Floor Newel Post. This picture makes it look much better than it actually is. Thank God for wood putty and lots of it. I mentioned earlier that I had to replace some trim. The posts upstairs had some missing pieces and this one showed below on the mid-landing had been devastated over the years by railing reconstruction and then more reconstruction, ending finally with our re-purposing that started three years ago.

I am pretty happy with my work here and I think that once it is stained, it will hide a lot of the little imperfections that glare at me. I think it is like any project anyone does. They see the problems that others do not.

Tomorrow we will continue with staining and wood puttying and assorted other unforeseen things that will pop up along the way. It will be a short day for us as we have a Barbecue to attend in the afternoon. Our progress tomorrow will govern our evenings fro the rest of the week. It's a good thing that all our TV shows have finished for the season. It's time to get to work on the damn house!

No comments: