Sunday, August 05, 2012

Another Day...that happens to be PERFECT!

Get up,Get Dressed, Go to Church. Go Home, get changed, get your lazy ass in the yard.


I'm not sure where to start with this post other than to try and do it chronologically. But that seems so lame. So I'm starting out with a before and after picture of the front west garden.

Many thanks to Randy and Karen who loaned us their rototiller. They did not just loan it to us. They loaded it into their truck, they drove over to our house, they helped unload it and show us how to use to, and they filled it with gas. They also drank some of our beers. So it all evened out in the end.


The rototiller made fast work of tearing up the garden soil as well as a shit load of roots. I'm not kidding. There is a SHIT load of roots ready for our next stump fire.


We pretty much decimated all the work we did yesterday. But I think it is well worth it and we are well on the way to getting this project completed. 


The Goal: I want this done by Labor Day. If you're keeping score...and I am...that means we have 27 days.


Here are my two best pictures of the day.


This one I call "Shit Load of Roots"


This one I call "Woman being thrown around by RotoTiller."


Susan cannot possibly weigh much more than this rototiller. And she got the crap knocked out of her.


The thing died all the time because of the overwhelming roots. And the rototiller didn't do much better.


But, we got it all cleared out and now we are ready to get the trench dug, leveled, graveled, sanding, tamped, and finally bricked.


We worked until about four and it was a bright, hot sunny day. The temperature was well into the 90's while we where working.


I spend my childhood working in my parents yard. I mowed, raked, pulled weeds, hauled dirt, hauled rocks, spread mulch, transplanted trees and hated every minute of it.


I had a blast today. It felt so good to be out there, working in the dirt, swing an ax over those damn roots. It was just the best! It amazes me to write this. I commented to Susan about how much I was enjoying myself until she told me to shut up.


We finished the day by bottling some wine for a friends upcoming wedding. We bottled 28 bottles of Johannesburg Riesling. It has a special label designed by the bride and groom.


It was the perfect end to a great day and I am happy to be alive and living on Corbin Park! 

No comments: