Saturday, August 04, 2012

Super Saturday Stuff

Welcome to the end of a day. I am tempted to say it was a very good day. But I don't want to go all "Superlative" on you. Besides, days are good and days are bad and this day had elements of both...like any other...so welcome to the end of a day.


We woke up in the back bedroom where the sleep number bed caressed our asses throughout the night. I, myself, slept like a guy who had just the right amount of alcohol to fall asleep hard 10 minutes after hitting the mattress and maintain that level of unconsciousness until the Diabetic Cat Alarm went off at 6AM.


The first task of the day was to transport Scout to the vet. She is not feeling well and has lost a lot of weight in recent weeks. It turns out her kidneys are starting to fail. They want to keep her over the weekend, get some fluids in her and get a better picture of what's going on.


After dropping her off, we went out to the home of a wine making buddy to retrieve a corker. We are bottling wine tomorrow night.


Since we got such an early start on our day, breakfast seemed appropriate. We tried going to the Cottage Cafe where my son Scott is a cook, but they were experiencing 20 minute waits and we don't enjoy that kind of experience. So we headed off to the Skyway where we walked right in. They were busy but it's a much bigger place and tables were available.


Now comes the terrible part of the day. We have committed to doing something in the front yard as far as landscaping this summer. We went to the Home Depot and bought 20 retaining wall bricks. We are going to build a little wall defining the front gardens on either side of the front walkway. 


We started with 20 because I wasn't sure how many the car would handle, weight wise.


When we got home I began the arduous task of digging a trench to build the foundation on which to place the wall. 


Susan did some raking and shrub trimming as well as some dirt loosening. We completed a 15 foot leg of the trench but I have decided to go in search of a rototiller. That would make my life a lot easier in this job. There are just so many roots to get through. 


One root I will soon have to deal with will require an ax. That will be a post in itself and may come as early as tomorrow.


After a hot and sweaty afternoon in the yard, we relaxed for a while. Susan took a long lazy bath and I goofed around...which is code for sat in front of the TV and watched reruns of "NCIS" on the USA Network.


We left the house at six and went to pick up Ron and Kelly. They then followed us to the quaint apartment on the river of Chuck and Maggie. They have a dock party every year about this time and one of the traditions of the party is my diving off the Argonne Street Bridge into the river.


This year was no exception. I have worn a Superman shirt in the past but this year I augmented it with a cape and tiny red undies. It made quite an impression.


I cannot figure out why this picture is coming in upside down and I have given up trying.


The party was great and we stayed until 10...followed by an incredible job of impaired driving on the way home. 


No arrests were made.

No comments: