Saturday, August 19, 2023

Pendant Light Installation

 I am hopeful that the pendant lights above the island shall be installed today.

I did some preliminary work yesterday and have everything ready to go.

The plan is that I will tap in to power from the wire up in the large square cut out and feed it over to the first light, which will go in the smaller hole on the left.

The wire will link to the center pendant light and then to the third light at the other end of the island.

Everything went smoothly until I got to the third hole. After I cut the hole, I tried to feed the wire from the center hole to the third hole. Because this is in the area of the addition, there was a cross brace that blocked the wire from getting to the center light.

So I broke out my drill and used a 7/8 paddle bit to make my hole. What I did not count on was the thickness of the cross brace. They must have sistered three or four boards together or they used a really big beam. I ended up using my six foot drill bit and it was easily 10 to 12 inches in before it broke through.

Then it was a matter of running my fish stick through the hole, locating it at the center hole and pulling the wire back through.

So now, I’m all set to put in the boxes and wire the fixtures into place.

So, here we go!

4:10PM: It’s been a good four hours since last I wrote and I’m almost home.

It hasn’t been difficult except for having to hold a fixture in place while connecting three unruly wires. Times three. Times three lights.

I just have that middle light to finish up and then this project will be complete.


Ta Duh!

Please note that all the shades on the lights match. Quite an accomplishment when you consider that the lights were bought 10 years apart.

Clearly, I’m pretty pleased with myself. In fact, I’m going to go all smug on my ass and enjoy a G&T.

I shall temper my joy with the knowledge that pride comes before the fall.

No comments: