Thursday, April 16, 2009

Home Maintenance Issues

As a home owner, you will frequently be faced with unexpected home maintenance issues. These issues may involve small pesky rodent or normal wear and tear. Tonight, I am dealing with both.
I have seen signs that some sort of four legged mammal creature is trying to gain entry to the underbelly of the Carriage House. Specifically, I have seen signs of digging around a hole in the pavement of the alley immediately adjacent to the rear alley side of the Carriage House. This is a situation that we cannot allow to develop.
In an effort to quell this uprising, I am instigating protocols to determine the exact species attempting to gain entry and the intentions of the aforementioned, as yet unnamed mammal rodent individuals. I think the pictures speak for themselves.
I think I have already mentioned the leaky outdoor faucet. In order to fix it correctly, I have to remove and replace a sizable chunk of pipe. It is inside with easy access from the basement. I have not yet attempted a replacement of this nature so I am approaching it with a certain amount of trepidation.

Here is a picture of the pipe run I have to replace.
I have to remove the pipe from the elbow to the faucet, which is just on the other side of the far wall. It should be an easy project except for the following concerns:
1) I will have to shut off the main water to remove this pipe. The shut off valve down the line is old and does not completely seal the shut off. If the water is still on, it will leak profusely.
2) Once I have the pipe removed, I will need to take it to the local Home Improvement Center to retrieve the proper replacement length and parts.

3) During this time, the water will be shut off. If I want to flush, Tough!

4) If I cannot properly replace this pipe by late afternoon, I will have to have some plan in place that will allow me to turn the water back on and keep this thing from leaking all over the basement floor.

5) Maybe I shouldn't do anything right now.
Having listed my concerns, I now feel free to ignore the issue.

What was it we were talking about?!

No comments: