Tuesday, April 20, 2010

General Progress on Nothing in Particular

First, a quickie update on Hops. To review, this is the third year for my two hops plants. I have planted two varieties of Hops, a Sterling and a Hallertau.

The first year they plugged along sluggishly and didn't do much...as one might expect.

Last year, they both cruised along pretty well and reached the top of the arbor...about twelve feet up and produced copious hopses. I even made beer with some. I came to realize that I will have hops forever and a day at the rate I'm using them up. However, I never really planned on using the hops in my brewing. I just wanted a vine that would cover the arbor and in that, the hops is doing it's job.

So now it is April in year three and the hops are on fire. I noted about 6 inches of growth yesterday. Yup, one day! Pretty amazing. I marked it today to see if the growth rate is as impressive. Report to follow.

My grape vines are also in their third year but they are really not very impressive. At this point, they still look like they are asleep.

Other yard related items...I am really on top of my Dandy's this year. I fertilized with the weed killer and I have been regularly trolling the yard with my Weed-B-Gone sprayer and nailing the little Dandy Bastards as they appear. I feel like I'm ahead of them this year. However, I have been wrong before.

No comments: