Thursday, April 22, 2010

Lawn Mower Man

About a week and a half ago I mowed the lawn for the first time of the season. At the very end of the job, my grass catcher broke. There are a couple of welds that hold the main section of the frame to the handle that clips on to the mower and holds the bag in place.

We have a friend who will be able to weld it for me but I haven't had the opportunity to get it to him. In the meantime, my fertilizing must have worked because it is time to mow again.

Tonight I decided to mow without the benefit of a grass catcher. I like this method because I don't have to keep stopping and shacking out the bag. The lawn really needed the mow so I'm glad I went ahead and did it.

In addition to the grass catcher, I have a problem with the mower that is very annoying. This thing starts up on the first pull. It's amazing. Even the first time out of the garage this year, one pull and off she goes.

The problem is that she can't keep going. This mower, like every other piece of power equipment sold in this country, has an Idiot Bar. That's the button, lever or handle that the operator MUST hold on to in order for the machine thingy one is operating to continue to operate. If you let go, the machine thingy stops. I'm sure just as many countless lives have been saved by this safety item as the countless number of straightjackets that have been applied to those trying to defeat it.

Anyway, where was I?! Oh yeah. I have to pull the cord to start the mower, hold onto the Idiot Bar and lean down to the engine to pump the primer to keep the mower going. This goes on until the mower is sufficiently warmed up...about three hours. Once it's warmed up, it goes great. Even if I stop, dump the grass, drink a beer, drink another beer, reattach my finger, it comes right back on and runs strong.

Taking it in for a tune up doesn't help...much. Then it seems to be only a two hour warm up session.

It's Earth Day 2010 and in addition to cutting the lawn with a gas powered lawn mower in honor of the Earth, I also cut down an Earth Day Tree for the living room. Tonight, we will bury the ceremonial disposable diaper in the yard and then we will be burning Styrofoam and the Earth Day Tree while doing the Earth Dance around the fire. We will finish off by turning the heat waaaaay up in the Hot Tub and basking in the warm glow of every light in house being turned on.

Happy Earth Day!

No comments: