Saturday, October 10, 2020

Fall Arrives, Halloween is Killed and a Rookie Mistake

 Autumn has officially arrived as of this morning. The newspaper reported we are into the third warmest October on record. The rain that fell over the night and into the afternoon breaks a 99 day dry spell that has not been equaled since 1917.

I'm continuing to work on the door but I'm taking a different approach. I'm including a professional person in my repair. My neighbor, Lou came over yesterday and we glued this strip of wood onto the door and let it dry over night.


The next step is to use a door planer on it. Since I have no experience with that, I shall wait for Lou. In the meantime, I moved the door out of the rain and removed the clamps. I'm going to return them to Lou right now.

Susan is decorating the inside of the house for Halloween. We are not decorating outside as Covid has killed Halloween 2020. At least as far as we are concerned.

We decided not to participate in Halloween this year because I can't justify handing out candy to throngs of people (mostly kids) who cannot keep a six foot distance. They just pack in too tight.


Here's are a couple of reminders of how thick it can get.

It's just after 3:00PM and we are waiting for a woman to come by who has some grapes to crush. She drove down to Benton City this morning, picked up her grapes and is returning here for a crushing.

After we bought our Crusher, I put up a flyer at Jim's Home Brew and have gotten a few calls from it. I'm going to have to give Jim's a commission.

This is the first time we've used the crusher in two years. We couldn't get any grapes last year because of an early freeze that took out a lot of acreage.

We're not even sure we will be able to get grapes this year.

4:47PM: The lady showed up and we crushed about 90 pounds of Cabernet grapes. They were very sweet. I did a really dumb move though. 

She had three bins of grapes that were approximately 30 pounds per bin. The receptacle she had for the crushed grapes didn't look very big so after we crushed the first bin, I suggested running the grapes through again. I totally forgot about the juice we already had in the can and when I poured it through, we lost a bunch of juice. Stupid! We didn't loose too much but it was a rookie mistake of colossal proportions.

Fortunately, she was nice about it.

No comments: