Friday, August 31, 2007

End of Summer



Well, here it is. The start of another long weekend. I always find this particular Holiday Weekend a bit lugubrious as it signals the end of Summer. However, now that I have been out of school for 30-some years, it doesn't have quite the same impact. At any rate, have a Happy Labra Dor!

We will not be working on the bathroom. We will be painting the deck. It needs it BAD! We bought the paint the other day and now we are ready to rock. There will be some scraping and some sanding but for the most part, we will be ready to roll in the morning and I expect to have it complete by Sunday.

There are lots of events we want to take in this weekend as well as completing some work on the house. There is "Pigout in the Park" downtown and the annual Labra Dor Concert in Comstock Park on Monday. Aside from those events, there will be sleeping in for three days in a row. That will be great!

Finally, I would like to announce the arrival of my latest toy. It's the Oregon Scientific Mega Weather Station 3000. It keeps track of indoor and outdoor temperatures as well a Relative Humidity, Wind Speed and Direction, and Rainfall. I will be mounting the mast for all the components on the roof tonight. I still haven't figured out where to put the actual unit itself. Susan has definate opinions concerning where it will NOT go...which severly limits the choices.

Last night the Unit was saying it was going to rain. The forecasts on TV were talking about scattered storms with lightning but they did not really say much about rain. I told Susan about the impending rainfall and she wasn't very impressed with the accuracy of my new toy. She was singing a different tune this morning when she got up and saw it had indeed rained.

I'll be looking forward to all the information I'll be getting. I think maybe I should start a low wattage Corbin Park Radio Station where I can broadcast all the local news AND weather. Radio Station KCP, or KWAV, or KBRK, or KSJB. I always liked KRAP for call letters.


LATER THAT SAME DAY: The clouds were pretty ominous looking on my drive home and all the Weather Forecasters were going nuts with a Severe Storm Warning for the early evening. I managed to get my mast up for my Weather Machine Components before all hell broke loose. Frankly, not much occured here at the house. Other parts of town got wind and hail and lightning and rain. At left is a picture from up on the roof looking west with my new anometer in the foreground. There was a little lightning so I was glad to get off the roof under my own power. The wind gauge worked great and I recorded some excellent gusts of wind...some reaching speeds of more than 10 mph.

No comments: