Friday, August 22, 2008

Got Me a Skunk

I am victorious and slightly odoriferous. But I got her!
Look at her. She's a monster. I am guessing she weighed 40 pounds.

We have been trying to attract her to the cage for a week. I set the cage out but did not have it engaged. We put cat food out but she didn't seem interested in that.

I threw out some hotdogs and they were gone every morning.

Finally, I set the trap last night and threw hotdogs all around her hole and leading up to the trap. I got up at 6 this morning and...Ta Daaaaa.

I called my friend Jerry last night and told him to prepare. He has a truck.I placed giant plastic garbage bags over the trap to protect us from her venom. She had been pretty calm until I placed the bag over the cage. That set her off and she sprayed the bag. I didn't get hit at all but the smell was pretty damn strong. I was in the blast zone and I guess that's enough.

Jerry showed up and he just threw an old tarp over the cage and carried it to the truck.He was surprised when he first lifted the cage because it was so heavy. He thought it was staked down or caught on something. I said, "No, she's just a big skunk."

We drove her out to Seven Mile. It's a good ways out of town AND on the other side of the river. That is important. If this thing has some kind of homing device built into her, I want her walk back to be very difficult. Crossing a river is very difficult for a skunk.

We got out to a little area near the ORV Park and opened the door. Jerry used this pole saw to hold the door open once I got it up. She sat in the cage for about a minute. We couldn't really see what she was doing because she was all the way to the other end by Jerry's foot.Finally she waddled out and off into the woods. She was most ungracious. She did not stop to wave good-bye or spray us or anything. Well, if she is going to be that discourtious, then to hell with her. I'm glad she's gone. Susan is very glad she's gone. Soon, the whole neighborhood will be glad she's gone.

No comments: