Sunday, March 29, 2009

A Load of Whatnot

We woke up this morning to a light dusting of snow on the ground. It didn't last long. I think it had mostly melted away by 11:00. I've tried checking into weather reports to see if this slight snowfall brought us any closer to breaking the record for snow accumulation in a season. I know we are inches away. I'll keep looking.

You might recall that we have an old house that we are working on restoring. It's been a while since we have done any of that work so today was a good day to get us back on track.

Susan did some work in the bathroom repairing some damaged wallpaper. It was directly above the area of the dining room that was damaged. She really knows her way around wall paper. I didn't watch the whole process but I think she removed a couple of large pieces of wall paper and replaced it with new, pristine stuff.

I worked on the stairs. I made good progress on the bottom eleven steps and now have the top four to complete. Then there is all the sundry railing, trim and whatnot. It's the whatnot that really has me concerned. Every time I glance around, I spy more whatnot that will need attention. More than anything in the house, we have a crap load of whatnot.
Here is a picture of today's progress. I should like to add that much of today's progress would not had been possible if not for the help of a call from my childhood pal, Mike, who is currently residing in Texas. He stops by this site from time to time and checks on us. He has already done much of this work on a house he owns on the other side of the state.

He suggested that I might have some luck in tight spaces with a paint scraper. He was absolutely correct. My sanders cannot get in real close to the corners and the detail sander we have is not the fastest way to go. But the scraper allows me to scrape away a great deal of the varnish that the sander has to sand away which saves that much more time.

Even so, I'm pretty sore from pushing the sander around and kneeling in a variety of uncomfortable positions. Perhaps it's time to take a shower and clean the chunks of sanding dust out of my many orifices to which it has settled.

That doesn't paint a very pretty picture.

No comments: