Friday, March 13, 2009

A Safer World because of Us!

We have successfully completed our week as a Nielsen Family. We studiously cataloged all our television viewing over the week and found that we watch a shit load of television. Much more than I thought.

Our TV was on for a total of 37 hours over the one week period. Four of those hours, it was on but we weren't really watching it. We have four TVs in the house but we primarily watch the one in the kitchen because that one is closest to the fridge.

I thought it was funny that the TV in what we call the TV Room, was not watched at all during the week. I'm beginning to wonder why we have a TV Room. It's really a Superfluous Room.

I started thinking about how much TV we watch compared to the time available to us for watching. There are 168 hours in a week. If you subtract out the sleep time, that brings it down to 112 hours. Take out another 45 for work and we are down to 67.
Now subtract out the time we watch TV and you have 30 hours. I can't for the life of me figure out what I do with those thirty hours. I suppose there's some eating in there as well as going to the bathroom. That alone probably uses up 17 hours. So now I will have to try and account for those 13 hours and make sure they count for something.

We are pleased to have done our duty to the entertainment industry and are confident that we helped to make the world a safer place for advertisers.

In less important news, it is still mighty frigid ot dere which compelled me to make a wonderful house warming fire last night. I was going through my files and decided it was time to throw out lots of old checkbooks. They went as far back as 2001 and as recent as 2007. They kept the fire stoked for a good hour as I threw a few in and then watched some TV (because it was on). Then at a commercial break, I threw in a few more.

Now all our financial information has been reduced to the ashes from whence we all came, thereby completing the circle of life.

No comments: