Monday, October 06, 2008

Got Skunks!

As I left for work, I went out to the Carriage House to observe the situation with regard to the removal of all skunks. There was digging. I still got em!

I am returning the truck I have been borrowing for the last several weeks so I don't have any way to remove this (hopefully) last little bastard. I'll give whoever is left down there a week or so to forget about the traps. Then I will try again.

I replaced all the boards at the base of the Carriage House yesterday. I put down pressure treated boards so I don't have to worry about them rotting or being attacked by bugs. Until yesterday, that wasn't a concern of mine. Then I started removing the old boards and came upon this.
Ronnie my painter had already told me I had Carpenter Ants. I sprayed around the base of the building and that seemed to have gotten them. But when I started pounding and pulling on this one board, they were dropping out like...well, a hoard of ants.

I grabbed the spray and hosed down the whole side. I counted at least ten queens. Those are the larger, flying ants. They all died painfully and with honor.

So, I finished up replacing the boards. Crawling around on my knees, moving heavy boards into place, replace boards that I didn't get into position properly, doing that again, doing that again, hammering hammering hammering; I developed a new sense of respect for people who do that kind of work everyday. There is no way I could do that in my present condition. I'm not sure I was ever in a condition to do that kind of work. (wimp)

However, I slept really well.

No comments: