Monday, June 08, 2009

Defibri-Stan

I have a Doctor's appointment today to determine if I should get my very own on-board defibrillator as an addition to my standard equipment. Susan and I are are meeting with my Cardiologist's "Electrician" to ask lots of questions.

Afterwards, I might have some answers. And I will share them here.

After the Appointment: The "Electrician" is Dr Eteri Byazrova. She is about four feet tall. She could fit in my palm. She's tiny. Clearly, she is not from this country but that is not an issue for me. Competence is an issue for me and Susan and I both got the Comp Vibe from this eensy little woman.

I asked her for her assessment of my health. She says I am in good shape for someone with MyoCardio Myopathy. That was good to hear. However, there are to be more tests.

A heart takes in blood and ejects it to the body as it beats. I assume that everyone knows that. The Ejection Fraction is a valuation of the amount of blood the heart ejects. A healthy heart has an ejection fraction of 55 to 70 percent. Mine is somewhere between 30 and 40%. The task now is to determine as close to possible what the number is. And so, there are to be more tests.

If the number is 35% or below, the defib will be installed. If I am above 35%, there are other options to discuss. And then, there will be more tests.

No comments: