Monday, October 07, 2013

Chair Rail and Gas

I am pleased to report that the pipes, radiators, and boiler are filled and ready to be fired up. I am really tempted to fire it up and bring it up to temperature, just to make sure everything is tight and working properly. Then I would shut off the gas until I was really ready.

One advantage of doing that would be to get a read on how much gas it takes to heat the house for a day. I would be able to see it in my bill when it came around.

Unfortunately, my bill comes around today and so heating up the system one time would not be reflected in it. By the time the statement comes around again, I'm quite sure the system will have been fired up for a while.

The alternative is to write down the readings on the gas meter before and after the system test. But I probably won't do that.

In the meantime, with 13 days remaining to the deadline, I started cutting the chair rail trim tonight. I thought it would be better to cut everything first and then stain it. Then it would go right up when it's ready to be installed.
The pieces I've cut so far are so tight and snug, I don't even have to nail them in place. I will of course, when the time comes, but right now, it helps to see them in place and figure out the correct height to place them.

I have been attempting to put the corners together with coping joints. That's where one follows the profile of the trim in order to snug it up really tight and professionally.
I got the "tight" part but not so much on the "professionally".

No comments: