Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Craftsman Corner - Tip # 477

Today on Craftsman Corner, we are going to discuss the crafty way of joining corners.

I owe today's tip to my neighbor Lou who told me how to do this. Gary at work tried to tell me about this but I was too dense to figure out what he was talking about.

I mentioned a few posts ago how I was putting up chair rail in the Living Room. I am pre-cutting all my pieces prior to staining them and I am cutting coping joints rather than 45 degree angle cuts at the corners.

The picture I showed back on the Oct 7th post shows a pretty sloppy joint. I haven't been too worried about my crappy sloppy joints because they will be dark, puttied and in remote corners.

The method I have been using is to trace the image of the profile of the chair rail with a pencil on the back of the piece of trim I'm going to cut. I have not had good results. The pencil line gets lost and cut up as I go and it is hard to follow. Also, it loses a lot of the detail of this particular profile.

What I should have been doing is this:

Take your piece of trim and cut a 45 degree angle at the end you want to cope.
This reveals a nice crisp profile line for you to follow with your coping saw.
The result is a much more accurate cut and a tighter fit. It's like magic! 
Thanks, Lou!

No comments: