Saturday, January 25, 2014

Storm Window Central

It has been a lazy morning but it is now time to get serious and make a storm window. I'm heading out to my Storm Window Work Shop and getting on it. I'll check back with pictures and diagrams and a paragraph describing the action to be used as evidence against me.

2:57PM: The storm window is complete but not installed. I have been wanting to get the Metal snap clips that hold the window in place but at $3.00 a clip, that seems prohibitively expensive for my budget. So, at least for today, I'm going to buy these cheesy little plastic turnbuckles. 


8:08PM: It's half time for the Gonzaga game so I have a little bit of time to finish up here.

My plan for using Plexiglas in the storm window was a disaster. I was using my jigsaw to cut the sheet to size and because it was a large 8 foot x 4 foot sheet, I did it outside in front of the Carriage House. That was a mistake. Since it was close to freezing, the plex did not cut well at all. 

I was making my first cut and I got about a third of the way through the cut when I realized how badly the blade was cutting. I stopped to see if I had a fresh jigsaw blade and when I returned, I couldn't find my cut.

It was then I realized that the plex had snapped where I had started cutting. Of course it did not snap evening or cleanly and I lost that piece.

After destroying the first piece and nearly losing another, I gave up and called my glass guy and got a piece of 1/8th inch glass for $30.00.

I'm still hoping I can salvage the remaining plexiglas to use for the other storm windows I plan to make.

No comments: