Friday, November 12, 2010

Camera Talk

Okay, it's time to talk about the camera.

I have found that my life requires the possession of a digital camera. I use it all the time. I take all kinds of pictures of all kinds of seemingly inconsequential stuff. I am constantly going through my downloads and deleting shitty pictures. That is probably the greatest feature of digital. My trigger finger is hot and I have found that the secret to a good picture is to take lots of crap to capture the gem.

Consequently, I beat the crap out of my camera in the general every day use I subject it to. I have dropped it, slid it, sat on it, knocked it over, spilled on it and just generally treated it with a great deal of disrespect.

The crap has now hit the wall after going through the fan and it is time to acquire a new camera.

Years ago, I bought my first digital camera for about $500.00. It was 1.2 mega pixel and came with an 8 meg card. That was about 12 years ago.

Now I can buy a 12 mega pixel camera for about 250 bucks. That's ten times the camera for half the money. Amortised over 12 years, that comes less the .12 cents per pixel. The technology sure is changing. As soon as I buy it, it will be obsolete. However, I can't afford not to buy one. According to my convoluted cyphering, I'm losing money by not buying it.

I like Canon and I am doing my research. In the meantime, I have to limp along with what remains of my poor battered Canon SureShot A50.

I'm not going to jump on the first pretty face that comes along. I would like to have this camera for a while but that is not how they are designed anymore. Our throw away society is geared to using it up and tossing it out.

But I'll tell you this! In my day...

No comments: