Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My Day with Doug

I have a task to perform today that I am not looking forward to.

I have a friend named Doug. Doug is someone I have known since ninth grade. He is fond of referring to me as his Freshman Class President.

Today, Doug is going in for cataract surgery. He is essentially blind. He is being a real PUSSY about the whole thing and I have told him as much. I have to go and pick him up this morning and take him to wherever his appointment is. He doesn't know. I'll find out when I pick him up.
The only thing I'm not looking forward to is...well...Doug. He's acting very needy but then doesn't want any help. It took me three days to get him to call me back and accept the ride. He was going to take a taxi.

Last night, I told him I would be by at about 10:30 and we would walk his dog Critter, and then go to the doctor. He complained he was blind and he can't seem to bathe himself or dress himself. I told him I was not going to bathe him and he should be ready to go at 10:30. He continues to be a PUSSY about the whole thing rather than man up and do what needs to be done.

I can understand being scared and the potential of losing your sight is very frightening. But at some point, you have to accept your circumstances and rise to the challenge. Doug doesn't seem to be interested in rising.

Okay, I've vented! Now we'll see how this goes!

How it Went: Nothing is as it seems in this case. When I got to Doug's and managed to find the info about the Doctor he was going to see, it turned out that he wasn't going in for surgery...just an evaluation. I called the number to verify the appointment. He thought that his appointment was at 10:30. It was really for 2:15.

So I went back to work and told Doug I would be back at 1:30. That would give us plenty of time to walk the dog again, have a smoke, and get to the Doctor.

When I arrived, I startled him out of bed and I think he was ready to beat me up until he realized it was me.

I then spent the next 45 minutes trying to get him to get ready and looking for his keys, which I finally found in a dresser drawer. We were late for the appointment but they took us in.

I could go on and on about the whole ordeal but that's probably not fair to Doug. What I have come to realize is that I am dealing with an alcoholic here and it's much worse than I originally thought.

I am in for a lot more fun in the weeks to come. I believe that there is an element of God testing me involved in this whole affair.

No comments: