Saturday, September 05, 2015

Back from InterWeb Oblivion

I'm back! Did you miss me? Did you even know I was gone?

My modem crashed on me. I had a couple of connection problems on Thursday night and when I got home from work yesterday, it was dead. I tried resetting it several times to no avail.

So then I went on a search to solve the problem but I am locked in old guy technology that hinders my ability to make smart shopping decisions.

Century Link is my InterWeb Service Provider (ISP). I called them, waited on hold for ten minutes, only to be told that it looks like my modem is dead. They then confirm the modem was not a leased modem and I owned it. They told me to go to Best Buy and get a modem that is ADSL2+ compatible.

So I drove out to Best Buy last night because that's where the person at CenturyLink told me to go...and of course, they didn't have any.

The moddem issue would have to wait until today because we were heading down to "Pigout in the Park", Spokane's annual Festival of Gluttony. We went down last night because I wanted to see Junior Brown.
Susan and I each had our traditional Pigout meals and then we went to the Clocktower Stage to catch Junior at 9.

Junior was great as expected and played for almost an hour and a half. If you are not familiar with Junior Brown, do something about that. The man can strum a gitbox.

So now it is today and I managed to get out of bed by eight. I got dressed, got some coffee and breakfast and headed out to get a modem.

My mind that has a 1980's operating system. I decided to try Radio Shack and if not them, perhaps the Home Depot would have a selection of modems. 

I was wrong. Home Depot has a few modem but none with parameters that matched my needs. 

As far as Radio Shack goes, I can't seem to find any. They may be all gone. They have four locations listed in the most current phone book, (more old technology) but I can tell you at least two of those locations are empty storefronts.

Then I recalled that one of those big box office supply places like Staples or Office Office Office might have a modem.

Staples turned out to be the helpful place. Staples is six blocks from the house. So sixty dollars later and after a little work on the phone with Sonjay at NetGear, I'm back on the grid.

The really big event of the day was the installation of a heated floor grid.

Here are the pictures.




The house smells like someone is getting a perm. I hope that doesn't last! We are not finished. We still have to lay down another bag or two of self leveling compound to get a final depth and a level floor.

Phil is coming in tomorrow to start dry walling.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Next time something electronic blows, try the Good Will & Salvation Army. You'd be surprised. Could save you $58.
M