Saturday, September 19, 2015

Saturday Successes and a Failure or Two

A fabulous weather weekend has allowed us to be fruitful and accomplished.

Saturday started out with Susan sleeping in while I went to church to help out with a Maintenance Day.

The task I was assigned was to remove a small tree. It was growing too fast and it would eventually cause power line problems as well as encroachment issues in the parking lot. As I was heading out to the tree, Neil Huggins drove in and offered to help me. 

We dug at the roots to try and break it free and eventually succeeded.

That took about half an hour altogether.

My next task was to fix a slow filling toilet.

Our church has toilets that I covet. If they ever decide to get rid of these, I want them. All toilets today have these piddly little tanks that fill to 1.6 gallons. It's supposed to save water, but not when you have to flush them three times.

The church toilets were made in the days when nobody cared about how much water went down the drain. I don't know the capacity but I know it only takes one flush.

So this one toilet takes forever to refill. We figured the hose may be plugged with calcium and needed to be cleared.

So I turned the valve to the off position and I flushed the toilet to drain the tank.

I started removing the hose and was surprised that it still held a lot of water. Well, it is a huge tank. Water was leaking out and creating a small puddle on the floor.

Just as I was coming to the conclusion that I might have a problem here, the hose blew off the connection and I was suddenly deluged with a torrent of water. It was hitting me in the face, covering the floor. I felt my knees becoming damp. 

I thought, "Shit! I turned the valve the wrong way!" So of course I struggled with getting the valve to even move for me and when I finally turned it to the other position, the tsunami continued.

I am alone in the basement and there is no drain in this bathroom. (That turned out to be untrue because there is a floor length urinal in the opposite corner)

Nonetheless, I cannot just abandon the space. So as I continue to get submerged, I struggle to get this hose screwed back onto the valve that is exploding water at full force.

This how I know that God is with me. I managed to get the hose back in place and screwed down tight.

My next task is to find a mop and bucket. That was easy compared to the ordeal so far.

I can tell you that the bathroom floor is now the cleanest place in the building.

With that task unaccomplished, we called it a day and I went home.

Susan managed to get out of bed at some point and was painting on the front porch when I drove up. Shortly after getting home, Shaun showed up to finish covering the heated floor wires in the bathroom. That went very smoothly and we finished in about an hour.
I did a couple of other little chores while Susan finished up the porch and then we enjoyed a cold frosty beverage on the front porch and watched the paint dry.

I enjoyed a glass of wine because I am not drinking beer at the moment. I'm trying to see if it is the source of my gout. More on that on my Personal Health Blog, www.porkymccorpulent.blogspot.com

Around 4:00, we went to the fair. It was our second trip to the fair this year. We went because a friend gave us a pair of unused tickets to get in.

It took us about 30 minutes to travel the last two miles to the fair. The weather was perfect for the fair and everyone decided to go with us.

I remembered my camera this time so I was able to get pictures of our wine. 
We went to a magic show that we really enjoyed and we went to a Hypnotist show that was kind of fun too.

Then we had some delicious fair food for dinner and hit the road.

No comments: