Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Major Historical Unearthment

I forgot to report on my most interesting historical discovery that I historically discovered in an interesting way yesterday.

I was removing the trim around the doorway from the hall into the dining room. As I pulled the piece off the north side of the door, I found this business card behind the trim.
We have lots of questions and only a few answers. The main question is why was this card placed behind the trim?

The writing on the back is the most intriguing to me. I assume the number on the top line is the model number of a corset and the price. The next line is a phone number. The last line is the biggest question because we have found no record of a Tracy family owning the house.

Did Mrs. Byrd Tracy drop by for tea one day and stow this card behind the trim, hoping to retrieve it later? Is a 23TR-38 Corset a good one? Does Dr. Armmori make house calls?

These and other questions will likely go unanswered. But I'm glad to have asked them.















Okay, here is a brief update. I found this on-line, dated Feb. 11, 1933. I'll have to check out the microfilm at the library of the Spokesman-Review from around that time and see if I can find any ads for Bartlett's Corset Shop.

No comments: