Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sunday with a Chance of Rain

What started out as a very nice day turned to rain by 1:30 so my project of the day got cut a little short. I was able to move on to another project and so it was a successful day around the house.

Susan had planned on hanging some very difficult wall paper but ended up with a plastering project that prevented her from continuing with the paper. Perhaps tomorrow.

I decided it was time to get something happening with the deck. I tore off the rest of the horrible outdoor carpet and then proceeded to removing bits of the decking...plywood really.















I needed to see the frame of the deck and see if it was going to work with the new decking I want to buy. There are a couple of ugly, rotting pieces of wood but it looks pretty good for the most part.















The rain cut short the deck work so I moved into the house and worked a some pieces of trim I have to cobble into place. It required lots of measuring and cutting little bits away and then returning to the measuring and then the cutting and then the measuring and then...you get the idea.

In the four hours it has been raining, we have seen a quarter inch of rain fall. I of course know this because of the WeatherRanger 5000. It is working well and capturing rainfall.

Below is a picture of the trim I replaced yesterday. The picture doesn't show it very well but it's that whole section starting on the right, continuing north to the little jog and then ending into the dining room bay window.














I am showing this off because I am happy with the job I did on the joints. I re-learned something I had un-learned a while back and then forgot. A compound miter joint is not a 45 degree cut. It's a 33 degree cut. That makes a big difference. How many joints have I screwed up over the years because I forgot that.

Probably only about two.

No comments: