Thursday, January 05, 2017

Frozen Pipes?!

I believe I have made many references to the cold spell we are experiencing.  It's about six degrees outside right now. 

I came home tonight to discover that our water was not working. I immediately assumed that the pipes had frozen. I went down into the bowels of the house, back where the water meter is. I did not notice any obvious problems which I took as a good sign. I broke out a space heater and fired it up in the little room. Then I fired up the heat gun and applied direct heat to the piperage. I had turned on the faucet in the utility sink and was watching it whilst heating the pipe.

It was not long before I saw a trickle of water coming from the sink. Don't worry...that sink doesn't run very well and a trickle is a good sign.

I ran to all the sinks and toilets to see if the water was working. It was!

I am a hero!

I have the space heater running down there and will probably continue to run it throughout the cold spell. I need to get some insulation up into the ceiling of that little closet. I can feel the cold air having it's free run of that whole ceiling area. Well, enjoy it while you can cuz tomorrow, the free run is OVER!

No comments: