Sunday, December 21, 2008

ICICLES: Natures' Icy Miracle or Pernicious Pillars of Freezing Death

Let's start out with this picture from the west side of the house. It is clear that we are keeping the house too warm because all the massive build up of snow on the roof is slowly melting and creating giant mutant icicles all around the house. The deck looks like a low cave with stalagmites hanging all about. I broke off those lower icicles but the ones up top are there to stay...or until August when they melt off.


After a healthy dose of sleeping in, we awoke this morning to a mostly cleanish house and the warm glow of a satisfying hangover. All of which indicates a successful Solstice Party has rung in the new season. I put my camera in my pocket just before the start of the party. This served as my reminder to take lots of pictures. I remembered around 9:00 and snapped a few. I will share only a couple here.
There's a nice blurry photograph of the house all decked out in Winter Solstice Finery. I only had one of two beers at this point.

A great shot of Mike and I. No more than 8 beers at this point.
This must be just before or after the naked dancing. Jaegermeister shots are flowing at this point and nothing is clear except for perhaps this one shot I took in focus.

There was about three inches of fresh snow which of course meant that I had to get out there and make the block safe from heavy accumulations of snow.
The plows came by this morning and were plowing all the east-west streets. I'm now waiting for them to return and do the north-south streets and remove the giant berm across all the intersections. The problem now is that it is starting to snow again. This has been forecasted as our second wave. I don't expect that we will break a record this time. But if it does turn out to be a significant snowfall, it means the plows will have to stop plowing the side streets and return to the main drags.
If that happens, it will be up to Captain Snowblower to get out there and somehow open up those berms.

No comments: