Monday, December 29, 2008

Twelve Days

It was just starting to snow when I got up this morning and by the time I hit the road for work, it was coming down thick and strong. The snow continued all day and when I arrived home this evening, there was twelve fresh inches of heavy grade snow all over my formerly clean driveway. It was astonishing how deep it was. Only yesterday, there was bare pavement showing and puddles developing.

The National Weather Service now says we have had 61 inches of snow and that has all fallen in 12 days. Sixty-one inches is more than we get all winter in some years. We are well past the previous record and we still have two days to go in the month...and the year.

It took me an hour and half to do my usual rounds and I am not satisfied. However, I have a long weekend coming up and snow maintenance and clean up will be high on my agenda. Of course, more snow is forecast between now and then so my agenda may simply be snow removal.

I neglected to mention that my anemometer appears to be functioning again. When I was up on the roof yesterday, I was surprised to see it spinning gaily in the afternoon breeze. I'll have to check it tonight because it's been quite windy. A good deal of the snow I blew tonight ended up in my face. I'm sure we will register some impressive wind gusts...even without me speaking.

No comments: