Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Let Loose the Snow Hounds

Sometimes I like to go over to the Idaho version of Corbin Park for lunch. Since I was heading that way, I decided to go a little further and get this picture of the fabulous Falls of Post Falls. This wonderful water fountain on Spokane Street in Post Falls is freezing up due to the cold temperatures. But they keep it running to keep the pumps from freezing and it makes this cool frosty fountain. You can't really see it in the picture there but the water is running.

I have gotten my wish and we finally have some snow on the ground. It started this morning, has continued all day and will probably continue through the night. I had a good solid ten inches in the driveway when I finally made my looooong commute home. It was slow going everywhere so you just had to be patient and find the best way home.

I immediately went to work on the snow blowing so I could have the driveway cleared before Susan got home. Then I did the alley, the sidewalk on Wall, the sidewalk halfway down Cleveland street and all the way down Waverly Place to the far corner.

I said it last Winter and I will bring it up again. With Great Power comes Great Responsibility! I should also say that I am just loving this weather. It has warmed up and is much more enjoyable outside than that single digit crap of the last few days. I love clearing snow. It is obviously a character defect of some type.

There's a good shot of the depth of the snow. I should have had a ruler there. Anyway, it was ten inches and probably closer to 12.

For the first time since we have lived here, I had to shovel off the front porch. The snow managed to accumulate a handsome amount up there. These two pictures are good representations of what was happening out there tonight. The picture on the left was taken with the flash and it picks up every flake of snow.
I turned the flash off for the picture on the right and it shows a wonderful picture of the house in all it's frosty winter covered glory.

It took me about an hour and a half to complete all my snow removal tasks. By the time I finished, I could have started again. I may go out one more time tonight but more than likely, I will get up early and at least hit the driveway and sidewalks.

We are in pretty good shape for the Solstice Party on Saturday. I know this because Susan isn't terribly stressed and yelling at me to do this, that, and the other thing. So I did my thing and did a little brewery work. I have about half of one keg of home brew ready to go and another full keg that I am trying to have ready for Saturday.
I'm pushing this beer a bit but I think it will be okay. It sure tasted okay tonight. The picture at right shows the beer being transferred (racked) from one five gallon carboy to another. This is one of the ways to filter out a lot of the sediment and floaty matter that are in the wort when you start. I would like to rack it one more time but I don't think I'll have the time. I will check it tomorrow and see how it looks.
This picture is a good example of the amount of sediment that can be filtered out. This beer is pretty clean now and just about ready for the keg. If I can get more out tomorrow, I'll rack it again and then keg it on Friday morning. That will give it enough time under pressure to carbonate in time for the party on Saturday.

No comments: